Whitley County Obituaries

Kennedy, Albert Sylvester
Contributed by Beverly Henley
The Commercial Mail – Columbia City, Indiana
Tuesday February 20, 1945

     Albert Sylvester Kennedy, age 84, resident of Whitley county for many years, died at 8 o’clock last night at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Frank Howell, 105 East Pokagon Blvd. South Bend, where he had spent the past eight days. Funeral services will be held at the J. A. DeMoney Funeral Home in this city, at 1:30 Wednesday afternoon, the Rev. J. Amsa Snell, elder in the Church of the Brethren, officiating. Burial will be made in Fairview cemetery near Servia in Wabash county. Friends will be received at the mortuary until the hour of the service. Mr. Kennedy was born in Stark county, Ohio, February 22, 1860, and when six months old came to Whitley county, spending most of his life here. He was married July 25, 1880, at North Manchester to Adina Catherine Smith of Wabash county by the Rev. John Wright. Mrs. Kennedy died April 16, 1936. His parents Mr. and Mrs. Lemuel Kennedy, were natives of Pennsylvania. Mrs. Kennedy is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Christ Brockenhamer of Columbia City and Mrs. Frank Howell, South Bend; two sons, Silas Kennedy of Cleveland township and Esta Kennedy of Mishawaka; a brother Hugh Kennedy of Elkhart; 14 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren. Two sons and a brother and sister are deceased.

Kenner, Andrew
Columbia City Post - Whitley County, Indiana
Wednesday November 28, 1934

     Andrew Kenner, only centenarian of Whitley county, and one of its finest citizens, died yesterday afternoon at 5:20 o'clock at the home of his son, John Kenner, in Troy township, of an illness due to complications and infirmities of age.
     He had reached the age of 100 years, six months, and 3 days at the time of his death. Though he registered to vote in the 1934 election, and was the oldest registered voter of Whitley county, it was feared to risk his health by taking him to the polls, so he was unable to cast his ballot.
     Despite an age seldom reached by any man or woman, Mr. Kenner was in good general health until within a week of his death. He retained all his faculties almost until the end came, and only his limbs began to show his advanced years, rheumatism affecting them the past few months. Mr. Kenner was confined to his bed since last Thursday.
     Funeral services for Mr. Kenner will be held Friday morning at 10:30 o'clock from the Troy M. E. church in Troy township. The body was removed from the John Kenner home to the Luckenbill's Sons Funeral Home to be prepared for burial and was returned to the son's home today on U. S. 30 in Troy township. Interment will be in the Adams cemetery.
     Andrew Kenner was born on May 25, 1834, at Ruedern Esslinger, Germany, to John Gottlieb Kenner and Christiana Margaret Mattes Kenner. He attended school in Germany until he was 14 years old. In May, 1853, his family set sail from Antwerp, Belgium, for New York, crossing the ocean in 27 days. They went directly to Hancock county, Ohio.
     The young lad was of industrious mould always and soon found work in Seneca county, Ohio where he was employed until March, 1858, when he started for California, making the trip by water instead of overland. He worked in California, mostly at the mining town of Yereka, until February, 1862, when he set out for the newly discovered gold mines in Idaho. He left Boise City, Idaho on July 12, 1864, to come to Indiana overland, where he settled in Troy township in a log house.
     For 20 years Mr. Kenner made his home at the old home place with a daughter, Mrs. Cora Briggs. For a time he lived with his son, Dr. L. A. Kenner, here. From November 1, 1932 until August, 1934 he resided with his daughter, Mrs. Charles Arnold, of Pierceton, and since that time lived with his son, John Kenner.
     An older brother of the deceased, John Kenner, died in the Civil War. A younger brother preceded him in death before the family came to America. A half-brother, John Wesley Kenner, lives at Northville, Mich. He was born while the family was crossing the ocean.
     Andrew Kenner married Mary Goodrich, widow of his brother John, on October 5, 1865. Children surviving this marriage include: Cora May Briggs, Columbia City; Dr. William C. Kenner, Utica, Nebraska; Dr. L. A. Kenner, city; one step-son, Dr. C. A. Kenner, Omaha, Nebraska. Mrs. Kenner died on April 2, 1873.
     His second marriage was to Margaret Jane Smith, on August 13, 1874, and the following named children survive: Mrs. Charles Arnold, Pierceton; Frank E., of Cleveland, Ohio; Mrs. Minnie Watters, of Troy township; Dr. C. W. Kenner, of Seward, Nebraska; John, of Troy township; Roy, of Canton, Ohio; Misses Ellen and Mary Kenner, of Cleveland, Ohio; Lyman Kenner of Chicago; and Fred O. Kenner of Castleton, N. Y. Mrs. Jane Smith Kenner died in Columbia City in 1909. In addition to the children named, 23 grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren are living. A half-sister, Sophia Kenner Adesperger, is a resident of Ohio.
     Mr. Kenner was a member of the German Lutheran church in which faith he was baptized before leaving Germany and he was a living exemplification of Christian manhood. Few people have lived to see so many changes in their country's history, and to witness so many generations of their descendants take prominent places in their communities.
     Mr. Kenner lived in Whitley county from 1864 to 1932. He won the loving cup Old Settlers Day, 1922, for being the longest continuous resident of Whitley county.
     His 100th birthday was observed with a special celebration at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Charles Arnold, at Pierceton. So rare is arriving at this advanced age that newspapers all over Indiana carried articles regarding it. A few interesting excerpts from Mr. Kenner's recollections, as told to this newspaper at the time, follow:
     Arriving in New York they found only one boat bound for Panama – the first leg of their journey to the west – and this boat was already filled up. The only ships operated from New York to the Pacific coast at this time were those owned by the Cornelius Vanderbilt company. Two boats were run each month. The passage for the trip to the western coast was $150.
     While waiting around his hotel, Mr. Kenner met a Vermonter who had a ticket for the Panama boat but had decided to return home. Mr. Kenner offered to take his ticket, paying him $150 in cash. In the meantime the three other men of the party, by the same means, had secured tickets and the four met on the deck as the ship sailed out of New York harbor. The trip to Panama took ten days and the boat docked at Espenwal, the eastern end of the Panama railroad, at 4 p.m. The train across the isthmus left the next morning. It carried the 1,000 passengers arriving with Mr. Kenner on the Vanderbilt boat and 200 others who had arrived from New Orleans, the night he stayed in Panama, Mr. Kenner was forced to sleep out-of-doors, the first time he had done so in his youthful experience of 24 years. Later all of the men became accustomed to sleeping outdoors. The next afternoon the passengers transferred to the Vanderbilt boat “Golden Star” which plied Pacific waters.
     The first stop the vessel made was at Acapulca for coal, water and other supplies, including 13 head of cattle which were slaughtered on the trip for the crew and passengers. The ship was so crowded that many had to sleep on deck. Mr. Kenner's was one of the 400 bunks placed on the upper deck but his bed happened to be directly underneath the ship's bell which rang every 15 minutes. Consequently he got very little sleep. When the boat was near San Diego it encountered a severe storm which lasted three days. No passengers were allowed on deck during the storm, but were crowded below.
     Near the end of April the boat arrived in San Francisco, now a city of 634,000 but then a town of 70,000. The trip from Panama consumed 27 days. After an unsuccessful search for work in San Francisco, Mr. Kenner and his three companions decided to push north. One of the men had interests at Yereka, a mining camp, 500 miles from Frisco. After a weary journey by boat, stage and on foot, the four arrived in this little town of 600 population, situated not far from Mr. Shasta.
     Mr. Kenner has painted an interesting verbal description of the mining town of Yereka, located close to the famous “Humbug” and “Rough-and-Ready” mines:
     “The principal buildings in the town were a hewn log courthouse, a hospital, run by a Dr. Cabines who was also mayor, a large brick central or store building, several saloons, billiard halls, a large gambling hall, and quite a number of small shops, and meat store. There were 25 or 30 women in the town. Quite a number of Chinamen were there. They were engaged mostly in gardening plots of ground around the town. Most of the men who were not engaged in business of some form in the town were interested in mining in the nearby hills and mountains farther away.
     “The place was not as wild and rough as those places have been pictured by many writers. The town had one large gambling hall. A German had a saloon and billiard hall combined and the place was as clean and decent as any such place in the East at that time. There was no closing law, and gambling places and saloons remained open at night as long as the owner pleased.
     “In the large central building there were two lodges of Oddfellows. One had a membership of 250 and the other one about 75. It was here that I joined the lodge in 1860, paying $25 initiation feel and $10 a degree.”
     When Mr. Kenner was a lad of 12 he lost the sight of one eye. In the summer of 1860 his sightless eye began to affect his good eye. Finding it necessary to consult a competent physician he returned to San Francisco, 500 miles away. He remained in the California gold fields until 1864 when he joined a company of ten to return east. With ten riding horses and ten pack horses they made the trip, obtaining provisions from government forts. General Mitchell at Fort Kearney took their horses to be used in fighting Indians but furnished them transportation on the stage coach to Grinnell, Ia., where they continued their journey on the railroad. The Civil War had been concluded by the time he reached the central states.
     Mr. Kenner never used tobacco. While he had no recipe for longevity, he had always led an active and vigorous outdoor life.
     Twice he served as trustee of Troy township. He had friends located in every section of the county. The centenarian celebration held in May, was the first the county had had since '59 when Joseph Shoemaker, who voted for Washington for president, celebrated his 100th birthday anniversary.

Kenner, Charles A.
Columbia City Post - Whitley County, Indiana
Tuesday, January 24, 1939

     Dr. L. A. Kenner and his sister, Mrs. Cora Briggs, last night were informed of the death in the Methodist hospital at Omaha, Neb., of their half-brother, Charles A. Kenner, M.D.
     He had contracted pneumonia following an injury received Dec. 31 in a fall down the cellar steps at his home in Omaha, according to letters the local relatives had received from their brother, William C. Kenner, M. D., of Utica, Neb. In the fall last month several vertebrae were fractured, requiring his removal to the hospital. He was 77 years old.
     Dr. Charles A. Kenner was a native of Troy township, a son of John and Mary Goodrich Kenner. His father, who served in the Civil war, died enroute to his home here at the end of the war. Dr. Charles A. Kenner studied medicine here under the guidance of the late Dr. I. E. Lawrence, then entered Rush Medical college in Chicago, from which he was graduated in 1885.
     Going to Nebraska, he practiced for several years at Utica, then established himself as a physician in Omaha about 1898. His first marriage was to Etta Chaney, of Columbia City. Some years after her death he married Nina Reed, of Omaha.
     In addition to the widow he is survived by two sons, Walter and Harry Kenner, of Omaha; one daughter, Miss Marguerite Kenner, Omaha; the two half-brothers and a half-sister already mentioned.
     Funeral services are to be held at Omaha Thursday and burial will be made there. Weather conditions will prevent the local relatives from attending the rites.

Kenner, Ella Cheyney
Columbia City Commercial, Whitley County, Indiana
April 27, 1892

     Mrs. Charles A. Kenner, Ella Cheyney, was born 1 Jul 1864 in Columbia City, Ind., died 22 Apr 1892 in Utica, Neb.; married 22 Oct 1884 to Dr. C.A. Kenner who survives with their 2 children; Walter V., aged 5 and Harry J., aged 2 years. In compliance with a request made while living, her body was sent to Kokomo, Ind. for burial beside the remains of her mother who died a few months ago.

Kenner, Jane Elizabeth (Smith)
Unidentified News Clip in "the Scrapbook"
(Cemetery Records show she died on February 1, 1909)

[Abstract - view scanned copy part 1 and part 2 for full obituary]
     The sad news of the death of Mrs. Andrew Kenner reached her grief-stricken family in this city Monday evening. The well known lady, whose home was on North Line street, died in the St. Mary’s hospital at Rocherster, Minn., Monday forenoon.
     The maiden name of the deceased was Jane Elizabeth Smith, daughter of John W. and Cynthia (Wily) Smith, deceased. She was born in Troy township, June 16, 1851 and was aged 57 years, 7 months and 15 days. She grew to womanhood in Troy township and on August 13, 1874, was united in marriage to her bereft husband.
     Ten children were born to this union, six sons and four daughters, all of whom are living, and are as follows: Dr. Clyde D. Kenner, of Seward, Neb., Frank, of this city; John and Roy, of Troy township; Lyman, of Fort Wayne; and Fred, at home on North Line street; Mrs. Charles Armold and Mrs. Art Watters, of Troy township, and Ella and Mary, at home in this city. Two step-sons and a step-daughter also survive – Dr. W. C. Kenner, of Omaha, Neb.; Dr. L. A. Kenner, of this city, and Mrs. Thos. Briggs, of Thorncreek township.
     Four sisters and one brother also survive – Mrs. John Elliott and Mrs. Belle Marrs, of Troy township; Mrs. Martha Coyle and Mrs. D. C. Noble, of this city, and Frank Smith, of Troy township.

Kenner, John C.
Columbia City Post - Whitley County, Indiana
Monday, August 25, 1967 (page 2)

     Services were at 2 p.m. today at the J. A. DeMoney & son Funeral Home for John Clarence Kenner, 87, of 105 North Elm street, who died at 4 p.m. Saturday at the Miller Merry Manor where he had been a patient since last February. He had been in failing health for the past ten years. Several times he had been hospitalized.
     Mr. Kenner, retired farm owner-operator in Etna-Troy township, was a former County Councilman. He was a native of Troy township, born Nov. 1, 1881 to Andrew and Jane Smith Kenner.
     On Nov. 24, 1906 he was married in the Methodist parsonage at Larwill to Mabel Fona Bills who died Jan. 9, 1954. On April 14, 1956 he was married at First Baptist Church to Mrs. Margaret (Maggie) Hively Orcutt of Troy township.
     With the exception of a short time in Thorncreek township, Mr. Kenner resided his entire life in Etna-Troy township and in Columbia City. He was a lifelong member of Troy United Methodist Church. He also was a member of the Whitley County Farm Bureau.
     Surviving besides the widow are three sons, Ralph E., of 8931 Stellhorn Road, Fort Wayne, Ronald L. of Lincolnway West, Columbia township, and Herald E., 4340 Kekionga Drive, Fort Wayne; three step-sons, Garland Orcutt of Columbus, Ohio, Robert Orcutt of Phoenix, Ariz., and J. C. Orcutt of Lafayette; three brothers, Frank Kenner of Cleveland, Ohio, Lyman Kenner of Louisville, Ky., and Fred Kenner of Albany, N.Y; two sisters, the Misses C. Ellen Kenner and Mary Kenner, residents at the Towne House, Fort Wayne; three grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; 11 step-grandchildren and 14 step-great grandchildren.
     Dr. A. Ray Noland, Tekonsha, Mich., a former pastor of Troy United Methodist Church, officiated at the services held today at the funeral home and at the committal service in South Park cemetery.

Kenner, Lewis A.
Columbia City Post - Whitley County, Indiana
Monday June 18, 1956

     Dr. Lewis A. Kenner, 85, retired local dentist, died at 3:45 a.m. Sunday at the Whitley County Hospital where he had been a patient since Thursday morning. He had been in failing health for the last four years following a serious throat infection and had been unable to leave his home since last September.
     He was a native of Troy township and was born September 12, 1879, a son of Andrew and Mary Goodrich Kenner. After spending one year at Manchester College, he entered the University of Omaha and received his degree in dentistry in the year 1900. He began his practice at Seward, Nebraska, and after three years there, returned to Columbia City where he continued to practice at his profession until four years ago when he was forced to retire due to failing health.
     Dr. Kenner was a member of Grace Lutheran Church; a life-member of the American Dental Association; the Isaac Knapp Coterie; the Whitley County Dental Association; the Columbia City Elks Lodge; the Eagles Lodge; the IOOF Lodge; the Modern Woodman Lodge; the Masonic Lodge 189; the Council; the Chapter, and the Commandery Knights Templer.
     His first marriage was to the former Minettie Workman who preceded him in death in the year 1910. January 8, 1913, he was united in marriage to Nellie Myers. They have spent their entire married life at the Kenner residence, 351 North Line street.
     The surviving relatives in addition to his wife, Nellie, include one daughter, Mrs. Irene Kenner McConnell, Fort Wayne; two grandsons, Robert and William McConnell, both of Fort Wayne; six brothers, John Kenner, Columbia City, Dr. Clyde Kenner, Seward, Neb., Frank Kenner, Cleveland, Ohio, Lyman Kenner, Louisville, N.Y., Fred Kenner, Albany, N.Y., Roy Kenner, Canton, O. ; four sisters, Mrs. Minnie Watter, Etna-Troy township, Mrs. Eva Arnold, this city, Miss Ellen and Miss Mary Kenner, both of Cleveland, Ohio. One brother, Dr. William Kenner, and one sister, Mrs. Cora Briggs, have preceded him in death.
     The body has been removed to the Smith Funeral Home where friends may call. The Rev. Graham L. Kleepsie, pastor of the Grace Lutheran Church, will officiate at the funeral service to be held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o’clock at the Funeral Home. Committal services and burial will follow the funeral home rites in the Stough cemetery.

Kenner, Mabel Bills
Columbia City Post - Whitley County, Indiana
Monday, January 11, 1954 (page 6)

     Mrs. Mabel Kenner, 69, 105 North Elm street, died at 4:30 p.m. Saturday at the Whitley County Hospital where she had been a patient for four days. Death resulted from a stroke of apoplexy.
     She was born on July 28, 1884 in Thorncreek township and was a daughter of James P. and Martha Elliott Bills. Mrs. Kenner was a lifelong resident of Whitley county. Mr. and Mrs. Kenner came to Columbia City from Etna-Troy township six years ago. Her marriage to John C. Kenner took place on November 23, 1906 at the Larwill Methodist church.
     The husband, three sons, Ralph E. and Herald D., of Fort Wayne and Ronald L. of Etna-Troy township, a grandson and two granddaughters are living, Horton Bills, a brother, Thorncreek township, two half-sisters, Mrs. Clyde Western of near Muncie and Mrs. Harry Keisler, 307 North Washington street, also survive. A brother, Pearl Bills, died in infancy.
     Mrs. Kenner was a member of the Troy Methodist Church and the W.S.C.S. and formerly was a member of the Etna-Troy Home Demonstration club.
     The body was taken to the DeMoney-Hollingsworth funeral home where friends may call and where funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday. Rev. Laurence I. Smith, pastor of the Etna-Troy Methodist church and Rev. Albert Rider, former church pastor will conduct the services. Interment will be in South Park Cemetery.

Kenner, Mary (Goodrich)
From Nellie Raber's Digest of Obituaries
(Columbia City Post - Wednesday April 9, 1873)

     Mrs. Andrew Kenner, nee Goodrich, daughter of Price Goodrich was born 8 Jan. 1842 in Whitley Co., Ind. where she died 2 Apr 1873 of spotted fever. She lived near Steam Corners. The Rev. McElwee had charge of the funeral service. She left 4 children.

Kenner, Minettie (Workman)
Columbia City Post - Whitley County, Indiana
Saturday December 3, 1910

     View scanned copy of obituary
     Worn out by the effects of tuberculosis against which she had been fighting heroically for the past two years, Mrs. L.A. Kenner, wife of Doctor Kenner, of North Line street, passed away at 11:07 Wednesday night. The end of her suffering came when all the skill known to man and the fortitude of the patient had been exhausted.
     More than two years ago Mrs. Kenner first began to feel the approach of the disease, and in June 1909, she went to Ottawa, Ill., where she took the open air treatment and received the training which enabled her to combat the disease most effectively. On her return Dr. Kenner built a bedroom and a living room on the second story of his home and for a year and three months Mrs. Kenner has fought nobly against the foe which she realized must some day overcome her. Her life was prolonged for more than a year by living in the open air.
     Minnettie C. Workman was born to Mr. and Mrs. David A Workman July 17, 1875 in Thorncreek township and died November 20, 1910, in Columbia City, aged 25 years, 4 months and 12 days. She lived with her parents and for a number of years was one of the successful teachers of the county, having taught in Thorncreek and Columbia townships.
     She was married December 30, 1891 to Dr. L.A. Kenner, and came to this city to live. To them one daughter, Irene, was born and she remains to mourn the death of her mother. In 1897 they went to Omaha, Neb. Where they lived for three years and then removed to Seward, Neb., for four years. In 1901 they returned to this city, where Dr. Kenner took up the practice of his profession, and they have resided here continuously since that time. Mr. Workman died several years ago but Mrs. Workman, her mother, is still living. Two brothers also survive. Homer, at home, and Amos Workman, at Fort Wayne. Mrs. Kenner was a member of the Rebekah and Ben Hur orders and had many friends outside her immediate family who deeply feel her death.

Kenner, Nellie Myers
Columbia City Post, Whitley County, Indiana
August 13, 1969

     Mrs. Nellie Kenner, 82, of 351 North Line street, the widow of Dr. L. A. (Lewis) Kenner, a well-known Columbia City dentist died at 10:25 a.m. today at Whitley County Hospital where she had been a patient since July 2. She had been in failing health since April and had been hospitalized the last time since July 2.
     Mrs. Kenner was a Columbia City native and was a daughter of Amos and Cora Jones Myers. She was born on Sept. 12, 1886. Soon after her birth her parents moved southwest of Columbia City in Columbia township, where her formative years were spent.
     On Jan. 8, 1913 she was married to Dr. Lewis A. Kenner and they established their home at 351 North Line street where she has since resided. Dr. Kenner, who had a large practice in dentistry here, died on June 17, 1956.
     Mrs. Kenner was a member of Grace Lutheran Church for more than 60 years. She was also a member of the Lutheran Church Women, the Fidelity Club of which she recently was made an honorary member for life; also was a former member of the Columbia City Chapter No. 65, Order of Eastern Star.
     Surviving relatives are her daughter, Mrs. Irene Kenner McConnell, 2314 Curdes St., Fort Wayne; two grandsons, Robert McConnell, Columbia City, who is administrator of Whitley County Hospital, and William McConnell, Monrovia, Calif.; four great-grandchildren; two sisters, Mrs. Blanche Cornelius of R 6 and Mrs. Edith Mullendore of Fort Wayne.
     The body is at the Smith and Sons Funeral Home pending completion of funeral arrangements. Mrs. Kenner requested that memorials be in the name of the Whitley County Cancer Fund.

Kenner, William C.
Columbia City Post - Whitley County, Indiana
Friday, January 29, 1943

     The death of Dr. William C. Kenner, 74, occurred Thursday at the home of a son, Rupert Kenner, at Hebron, Nebr., according to word received by a brother, Dr. L. A. Kenner, and a sister, Mrs. Thomas Briggs of this city.
     Dr. Kenner, son of the late Andrew Kenner of Whitley county, was a practicing physician in Nebraska for a number of years. Death was due to pneumonia and a complication of diseases. He had been in failing health for several months. His last visit in Whitley county was last summer when he spent six weeks in Columbia City and community with relatives.
     His wife, who was a Nebraska woman, died 12 years ago. Surviving are two sons, Rupert Kenner, Hebron, Nebr., and Dr. William C. Kenner, Jr., now in military service, and at the present time located in California. Surviving besides the brother and sister living in Columbia City are the following half brothers and sisters: John Kenner and Mrs. Minnie Watters, Troy township; Mrs. Charles Armold, Etna township; Dr. Clyde Kenner, Seward, Nebr.; Roy Kenner, Canton, O.; Frank, Ella and Mary Kenner, Cleveland, O.; Lyman Kenner, Louisville, Ky.; and Fred Kenner, Albany, N. Y.

Kerns, Marshall
Columbia City Post, Whitley County, Indiana
Saturday, February 16, 1918

flag for veterans World War I Soldier

     The remains of Corporal Marshall Kerns, of Troop K, First U. S. Cavalry, who died at Ft. Douglas, Arizona, Tuesday, will be brought here for interment, and the last sad rites to the memory of Whitley county’s first young man to give his life for his country in the war with Germany will be administered here. The message which brought such untold sorrow to his heartbroken parents and friends here asked for instructions as to the disposition of the remains and the S. J. Peabody Lumber Company, where the father is employed, wired back the request that they be forwarded here at once.
     The life of Corporal Kerns will linger long in the memory of his friends in this county. He was of a temperament and disposition to win friends readily and during his school days here and while at Wabash College he took a prominent part in athletics and was a young man of unusual strength and vigor. He graduated with the class of 1913 [sic]. During his school days here he played on the basket ball team and on the base ball team, and he was always one of the stand-bys of the team.
     He entered Wabash College in the fall of 1912 and soon became prominent among his fellows through his work in school and in athletics. He played both base ball and basket ball on the varsity team there a part of the time. In the middle of his senior year he was offered a fine position with a Detroit drug company, traveling for them, and he decided to accept it. He worked for them from that time until May, 1917, when he enlisted at Indianapolis in the regular army, in the cavalry. He was sent to Ft. Russell, Wyoming, where his regiment remained until just before Christmas, when they were transferred south.
     At the time his regiment was transferred, he had a slight sore throat, but did not say anything about it for fear he might be kept at the hospital and not be permitted to go south with the rest of the men. The trip required five days, and by the time he got to Ft. Douglas he was very sick. He was sent to the base hospital suffering from tonsilar abscesses. His throat had to be lanced and he was very seriously ill. He showed some improvement, but from the time he took sick he was only up once for a short time to write a letter to his mother. He lost weight rapidly, his heart became weakened and on top of it all he contracted pneumonia. Even then his great vitality carried him through the fever, but the strength to sustain his life was not there
     Being one of the first boys from this city to enlist after the declaration of war, his friends naturally followed his career in the army. His promotions were gratifying to his friends and he liked army life and seemed to be enjoying himself when he became sick. The news of his gradual decline was conveyed to this friends and relatives from time to time and all joined in the hope that the worst would not come. But all efforts to prolong his life were of no avail, and although he was in one of the oldest and best hospitals in the army camps, the disease had such a hold on him after the five days spent on the train that medical skill could not overcome it.
     Regret was everywhere expressed when the announcement of his death came. He is the first man from Whitley county to go, and though he died not upon the battlefield, his sacrifice and example are none the less impressive. He lived a short life and would have been but twenty-three years of age next April 23rd, yet his memory will be hallowed in this county as the first to give his life in the war against Germany.
     Besides the mother and father, there is a surviving brother, Ray Kerns, of Mishawaka. In this hour of their great loss the sympathy of everyone goes out to them.

Kerr, Chauncey
Contributed by Beverly Henley
The Commercial Mail – Columbia City, Indiana
Monday April 23, 1945 Page 6

     Chauncey Kerr, age 77, resident of Columbia City for a number of years, died at 11 o’clock this morning at the home of Miss Mary Cook, Jefferson Street who has cared for Mr. Kerr for the past three years. He had been an invalid for a number of years. Mr. Kerr was born in Larwill to Mr. and Mrs. Matt Kerr, December 8, 1867. For many years he had been a resident of Columbia City. Mr. Kerr was affiliated with the First Baptist church in this city. Funeral services will be held at the Smith Funeral Home in this city at 2 o’clock Wednesday afternoon. The Rev. Robert L Marlett officiating. Burial will be made in Lakeview cemetery at Larwill. Friends will be received after 7:30 o’clock tonight.

Kiester, Catherine (Crumley)
Unidentified News Clip in "the Scrapbook"
(Columbia City Post – September 21, 1910)

[Abstract - view scanned copy for full obituary]
     Mrs. Catherine Kiester, the aged mother of Ambrose Kiester, of Troy township, died Thursday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Abraham Kalb, who lives three miles from Middlebury, Elkhart county. Catherine (Crumley) Kiester was a native of Pennsylvania, and was married to her husband who died in 1898 in Stark county, Ohio. In an early day they removed to Noble county, Indiana, and purchased school land. The deceased was a member of the Methodist church and had she lived until the 20th of the present month would have been eighty-nine years of age.
     Of the twelve children born to the union, seven survive, they being, John and George of Noble county; Mrs. Tom Jackson, of Ligonier; Mrs. Mary Kalb, where the death occurred; Charles, of Montana; Edward of Defiance, Ohio, and Ambrose Kiester of this county.

Kile, Mrs. Herman
Contributed by Beverly Henley
The Commercial Mail – Columbia City, Indiana
Friday June 15, 1945 Page 6

     Mrs. Herman Kile, age 75, former Whitley county woman, died suddenly at 2:30 pm Thursday afternoon following a heart attack at her home in Kosciusko county. Mrs. Kile had been in failing health for more than a year. Mrs. Kile, a sister of Mrs. E. Bottorff of this city, was born and reared in Whitley County. She was the daughter of the late John and Anna C. Schulthies. She is survived by her husband and four children. Mrs. Ray Strunke and Carl Kile, Fort Wayne; James Kile of Warsaw and William Kile of LaPorte; five granddaughters and three grandsons; a brother, Charles Schulthies, LaPorte and the sister, Mrs. Bottorff who resides in this city. Mrs. Kile was a devout communicant of the Baptist church at Pierceton. Funeral arrangements are awaiting word from two grandsons who are in military service.

King, A. Ralph
Columbia City Post & Mail, Whitley County, Indiana
March 13, 1997

     A. Ralph King, 82, a Richland Township resident, died at 7:05 p.m. Tuesday, March 11, 1997, at ExtendaCare of Columbia City.
     He was born in Larwill on December 16, 1914, a son of Carl and Nellie Robinette King. Living his formative years in the Larwill area, he graduated from high school in 1932. After completing his education, Mr. King farmed in Richland Township and was employed for 35 years at Dana-Weatherhead Company in Columbia City, retiring in 1977.
     On July 7, 1965, he was united in marriage to Virginia E. Short and they made their home on the King farm near Larwill. Since their retirement, they have been spending the winter months in Mission, Texas.
     He was a 50-year member of the Columbia City Eagles Lodge, I. K. O. Token and Metal Society and Lakeland Coin Club. An avid horeshoe pitcher and trap shooter, he was also a member of Weatherhead's Softball team for a number of years.
     Surviving relatives include his wife, Virginia; a son, Lester L. King, Columbia City; two daughters, Marylin King, Golden, Colo.; Mrs. Russell (Leta M.) Erne, Pierceton; a step-son, Frank Jones, Warsaw; a step-daughter, Mardelle Bailey, Orlando, Fla.; five grandchildren; seven step-grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren and two step-great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by a sister, Juanita Beard.
     The funeral service begins at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Smith and Sons Funeral Home, Columbia City, with the Rev. George Reser officiating. Visitation is from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Friday at the funeral home, with the Columbia City Eagles Lodge memorial service at 8 p.m. Burial will be at Lakeview Cemetery, Larwill. For those who wish, memorial may be made to Richland Township Fire Department.

King, Alice minerva (Barber)
Columbia City Post - Whitley County, Indiana
Thursday March 13, 1941

     Mrs. Alice King, 84 years old, died at her home in Larwill last night at 7:40 o'clock after an illness of three weeks. She was a member of one of Whitley county's best known pioneer families, and was a teacher for several years in the Larwill schools and the schools in Columbia City.
     Mrs. King was an active member of the Larwill Methodist church for many years and was a member of the Order of Eastern Star. When the Larwill chapter ceased to function she became affiliated with the chapter in Columbia City. She was a member of the Rebekah Order in this city.
     Her parents were Scott and Minerva Goodrich Barber and she was born in Troy township, January 9, 1857. her husband, Alonzo King, to who she was married January 8, 1887, died May 9, 1912. A son, Carl King, died of influenza in 1918.
     Mrs. King's only close survivors are a son, Ray King, at home; a grandson, Ralph King of Larwill; a granddaughter, Mrs. Eugene Beard of South Whitley; one step-grandson; and three great-grandchildren.
     The body was brought to the Smith Funeral Home in Columbia City where friends will be received. Funeral rites will be held at the Larwill Methodist church Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock. The body will lie in state at the church Saturday afternoon from 12:30 to 2 o'clock. Interment will be made in Lakeview cemetery in Larwill.

King, Alonzo
Columbia City Post - Whitley County, Indiana
Thursday May 9, 1912

flag for veterans Civil War Veteran

     LARWILL SOLDIER DIED THIS MORNING. Martha Goodrich dead in same home. Brother Lying At Point of Death In Larwill With Little Hope for His Recovery.
     For two adults to pass away within little more than twelve hours in the same home is unusual, yet that has been the sad experience of the inmates of the household of Alonzo King, a half mile from Larwill. Sunday evening, Martha Goodrich, who had been assisting in nursing and caring for Mr. King, while seemingly in perfect health, quickly passed away, and the morning after, Mr. King's death followed, and the house is truly a house of mourning.
     Alonzo King, for many years a resident of Richland township, not far from Larwill, passed away Monday morning at 8:30 after a prolonged illness. His health began failing fully a year ago and for the past two months he was confined to his home. He was a sufferer from pernicious anaemia or impoverishment of the blood. Physicians made every effort to banish the disease and prolong the life of the sufferer, but their efforts were unavailing.
     Alonzo King was born in Medina county, Ohio, March 13, 1845; died May 6th, 1912, aged 67 years 1 month and 23 days. When a child three or four years of age he moved with his parents to Whitley county. When but a boy of 16 years he enlisted as a member of Company E, 44th I. V. October 5th, 1861. He was discharged from service October 20th, 1862, owing to ill health. He re-enlisted May 3rd, 1863 with the 7th battery, 5th artillery, I. V. 3rd brigade, and was discharged July 20th, 1865, with the rank of corporal. After coming home he enlisted in the regular army and served four years in the west.
     Since returning home from the army he devoted most of his time to farming and doing carpenter work. He was a member of the G. A. R. and of the Grange, taking quite an active part in both organizations.
     He was united in marriage January 8th, 1887, to Alice Barber, and they have two sons, Carl, one of the rural mail carriers out of Larwill, and Ray, a brakeman on the railroad. The former is married and has one child.
     He is also survived by two brothers, Homer, of Larwill, and William, of Mishawaka; a sister, Mrs. Wm. Freeman, of Mishawaka, and a step-sister, Mrs. James Briggs, of Hobart, Indiana.
     His brother Homer, who resides in Larwill, is believed to be on his deathbed, and it was a question which of them would die first. His recovery is regarded as extremely doubtful. He is suffering from an affection of the heart.
     The funeral will be held at the Methodist church in Larwill Wednesday afternoon, and Rev. Sanders, of Churubusco, will deliver the sermon; interment in Lake View cemetery.

King, Carl Barber
Undated Obituary from "The Scrapbook"
(Carl died October 13, 1918)

     Carl Barber King, son of Alonzo N. and Alice King, was born in Larwill, Ind., Dec 17, 1887. Was educated in the Larwill schools and Valparaiso University, and taught in the common schools for a number of years. Was married to Nellie Robinette on Thanksgiving day of 1908.
     In November 1910, he entered the postal service in the capacity of rural mail carrier from the Larwill office. In that position he served, in heat and cold, fair weather and foul, honestly and faithfully endeavoring to give to the position the service which he deemed to be his duty, until stricken by a fatal malady, which resulted in his death, Oct. 13, 1918.
     Aside from his official duties, his only object in life was the happiness and well-being of his wife, children, mother, brother, grandmother and other friends, being ever ready to sacrifice his own comfort or convenience to their welfare. Thus are recorded in a few words the principal facts in the short life history of honest, big-hearted, manly, loving Carl. Why he has been taken from us we cannot understand. Let us hope that, sometime – somewhere we shall know.

King, Ray Alvin
Columbia City Post - Whitley County, Indiana
Saturday January 8, 1949

     Ray A. King, 58, a former resident of Larwill, collapsed and died from a heart ailment late Friday while helping unload a car of newsprint. Mr. King has been connected as a trucking foreman with the A. C. Borgman & Sons Trucking company in Fort Wayne for the past seven years.
     He was a son of Alonzo and Alice Barber King and was born at Larwill. Mr. King collapsed just after a roll of print had been moved from the box car to a truck at the junction of Grand and Kansas streets, Fort Wayne.
     He had been under treatment for a heart ailment. Surviving are a stepson, Larry King, 2600 Wayne Trace, Fort Wayne, a nephew, Eugene Beard, former County Auditor, South Whitley.
     Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. Monday at the Schone Funeral Home in Fort Wayne and graveside services will follow in Lakeview cemetery at Larwill.

King, Rhoda
Contributed by Beverly Henley
The Commercial Mail – Columbia City, Indiana
Tuesday April 24, 1945 Page 6

     Mrs. Rhoda King died last night at 11 o’clock at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Waldo Schuh, at the end of North Walnut Street in this city. She had been ill for the past month. Mrs. King was born at Churubusco June 24, 1874 to William and Sarah Harter Miller and was married to Festus King of Richland township in 1900. After her marriage Mrs. King became a resident of Richland township and lived on a farm until after the death of her husband, which occurred April 11, 1928, when she moved to Larwill. Mrs. King is survived by four sons, George and William King, Pierceton; Homer King, Richland township; Robert King of Huntington; three daughters, Mrs. Robert Thomson and Mrs. Waldo Schuh, Columbia City; Mrs. John Walter, Fort Wayne; two sisters, Mrs. John Marker and Miss Elizabeth Miller, Thorncreek township, and eight grandchildren. A son, Earl King is deceased. Mrs. King was affiliated with the religious group known as Jehovah Witnesses. Funeral services will be held Thursday afternoon at 2 o’clock at the Smith funeral Home. Burial will be made in Lakeview cemetery at Larwill.

Kiracafe, Ethel
Contributed by Beverly Henley
The Commercial Mail – Columbia City, Indiana
Tuesday January 30, 1945 Page 5

     Committal services were held Monday afternoon in Eberhard cemetery for Mrs. Ethel Kiracafe of Mishawaka a former resident of this city. The rites held here followed funeral services held at 1:30 o’clock at Ellsasser Funeral home in Mishawaka. The Rev. Wilbur E. Allen of the Lutheran church in Mishawaka officiated at both the funeral and committal service. Those who accompanied the body to this city were Mr. and Mrs. H. L. Jontz of McGregor, Minnesota. Mrs. Jontz is the former Ruth Johnson of this city. Present at the committal service in Eberhard cemetery besides the Jontzes were Mrs. Mary Pressler and daughter, Mrs. Grace Egolf of this city. Mrs. Kiracafe was a daughter of the late William and Mary A. Johnson former local residents. Claude Johnson, a brother of Mrs. Kiracafe died in Mishawaka less than a year ago and burial was made in Eberhard cemetery.

Kissinger, John Milton
Contributed by Beverly Henley
The Commercial Mail – Columbia City, Indiana
Saturday May 19, 1945 Page 6

     John Milton Kissinger, past 61 years old, 2135 South Hanna Street, Fort Wayne, died in St. Joseph Hospital in Fort Wayne at 9:15 am Friday. He underwent an operation for appendicitis two weeks ago at the hospital. Mr. Kissinger was born in Jefferson township to John A. and Elizabeth Dinius Kissinger and was a brother of Attorney W. H. Kissinger of Columbia City. He grew to manhood in Jefferson township and for many years worked in the Oklahoma oil fields with his brother. In 1932 he returned to Huntington and worked there and also in Fort Wayne where he had employment with the International Harvester company the past several years. He was a member of the Congregational Christian church of Huntington.
     Funeral services will be held Sunday at 2 pm at the Bailey Funeral Home in Huntington with the Rev. P. Virgil Harris Huntington officiating. Survivors include his wife, Lena; three sons, Lawrence, U S Navy Cpl Donald U S Army stationed at Portsmouth VA and Homer, Fort Wayne; two daughters, Mrs. Helen Culverhouse, Richland, Wash., and Mrs. Doris Telfer, Huntington; nine grandchildren; five sisters, Mrs. John Brubaker, Fort Wayne, Mrs. A. G. Wolford, Mrs. Arnold Bennett and Miss Iva Kissinger, all of South Bend, and Mrs. C. E. Layne, Kalamazoo Mich; three brothers, W. H. Kissinger, Columbia City; Ambrose, Fort Wayne and Charles F. Odessa, Texas. Friends may call at the funeral home.

Kissinger, Rollo H
Contributed by Beverly Henley
The Commercial Mail – Columbia City, Indiana
Friday February 9, 1945 Page 6

     Rollo H. Kissinger, age 53, in failing health for the past six months, was found dead in bed at 12:30 am on Thursday at his home 2821 Beaver Ave., Fort Wayne. Mr. Kissinger, an assistant foreman at the International Harvester Co. moved to Fort Wayne from Huntington three months ago. He had been suffering from a severe heart ailment and had been off work for about three weeks. Mr. Kissinger was born in Jefferson township and was a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. John A Kissinger. He is survived by his wife, two sons, Bernard, Fort Wayne and 2nd Lt Rollo H. Kissinger, Jr. stationed with the U. S. Army Air Force at Palm Springs, California; who is now en route home by plane; two daughters, Elizabeth Ann and Barbara Lou, at home, three grandchildren, four brothers, William H. Kissinger, local attorney; Milton and Ambrose, Fort Wayne; and Charles, Odessa, Texas; five sisters, Mrs. Harriett Layne, Kalamazoo, Mich.; Mrs. Ola Brubaker, Fort Wayne; Miss Iva Kissinger, Mrs. Arthur Wohlford and Mrs. Netha Bennett, all of South Bend. Funeral services will be held at 2 o’clock Sunday afternoon at the Bailey Funeral Home in Huntington, the Rev. D Virgil Harris officiating. Interment will be made in Lancaster cemetery in Huntington county.

Kline, Martha
Contributed by Beverly Henley
The Commercial Mail – Columbia City, Indiana
Wednesday March 21, 1945 Page 6

     Mrs. Fred Kline, 73, native of Whitley county and sister of Franklin Hunt of near Etna, died Tuesday at the Methodist hospital in Fort Wayne. She had been ill for the past two years and entered the hospital a week ago. Mrs. Kline was the former Martha Hunt, daughter of Franklin and Martha Hunt, pioneer residents of Whitley county. After leaving the county the Klines resided in Fort Wayne and four years ago they became residents of Winona Lake. Mrs. Kline is a member of the Presbyterian church at Winona Lake and a member of the Order of Eastern Star at Pierceton. Surviving are the husband, a retired merchant; two daughters, Mrs. Creed Thomas, Warsaw and Mrs. Sidney Carnahan, Fort Wayne; a sister Mrs. E. E. Kline, Cromwell and a brother Franklin Hunt of Whitley County. Tentative funeral arrangements have been made for Wednesday afternoon. Services will be held at the Landis Funeral Home at Warsaw. Burial will be made at North Webster.

Klingaman, Anna Eliza (Joslin)
Columbia City Commercial - Whitley County, Indiana
Thursday August 13, 1885

     Died. KLINGAMAN - At her home in Jefferson County, Iowa, Anna Eliza Klingaman, after a long and painful illness with Brights disease, July 28th, 1885, aged 40 years, 9 months and 20 days.
     The deceased was born in Whitley county, Indiana, Nov. 8th, 1844, was married to William Klingaman, of Stark county, Ohio, in October, 1865. The year following, with her husband, she removed to Jefferson county, Iowa, where she lived until her death. She was a member of the M.E. Church and died happy in in the love of God, telling those around her that her way was clear, thus leaving the blessed consolation to her friends that they will meet her in the "Sweet By-And-By." Her husband and three sons are left to mourn their sad loss. Mrs. Klingaman was a daughter of L. P. Joslin, formerly of this county, and a sister of Mrs. Wm. Brubaker of Troy township.

Klinger, Cynthia Grayless
Contributed by Beverly Henley
The Commercial Mail – Columbia City, Indiana
Thursday February 15, 1945 Page 6

     Cynthia Grayless Klinger, age 86, died at 10 o’clock Wednesday evening at the home of her niece, Mrs. P. V. Gongwer, on road 30 east. She had been bedfast since Dec 6. The body was taken to the Sloan and Sons Funeral Home in Fort Wayne where funeral services will be held. Committal services will be held in Eel River cemetery. Funeral Arrangements have not been completed. Mrs. Klinger resided practically all of her life in Fort Wayne. She was known in Whitley County as the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles W. Grayless. Survivors are two sisters, Mrs. Emma E. Lee, Fort Wayne, and Mrs. Limmie Carey, patient in a convalescent home in Fresno, California; and two nieces, Mrs. Gonwer, Union township and Mrs. Jane Hanna of Coesse.

Koester, Earl
Columbia City Post, Whitley County, Indiana
Wednesday, May 14, 1919

flag for veterans World War I Soldier

     Universal remarks of regret were heard on every hand in this city Tuesday when it became known that Earl Koester had died at Camp Sheridan, Alabama, Sunday evening, at 9 o’clock, following an acute attack of appendicitis, for the young man was very well known here and comparatively few people realized that he was dangerously ill.
     He had been seriously sick for about two weeks. A week ago his brother, Walter Koester, of North Chauncey street, left for Camp Sheridan, and he was with him when the end came. The deceased was a son of Rev. S. P. Koester and wife, formerly of this city, but now live in Indian Village, in Noble county, and besides his parents and brother mentioned, he is survived by three sisters, who live at Grass Creek, Ind.
     Earl had been in the service more than a year and a half, having volunteered. He did not get across and he was used in office work at Camp Sheridan. He was a remarkably fine scholar and graduated from the high school here with the class of 1915, being the president of the senior class. In his school life he took a prominent part. He entered the high school in the fall of 1911. He soon became identified with the basket ball and track team and he was secretary of the high school athletic association for a while. He was a member of his class debating team in 1913, 1914 and 1915, and he was a young man on whom responsibilities could be placed and they would not be neglected.
     He felt a high sense of duty always and he was honorable and reliable in all things. Only words of praise could be spoken of his character and he was one of the finest young men who received his education in the schools here. His classmates and friends alike feel a deep personal loss in his passing and all join in a common sympathy with those who are nearest and dearest to him.
     He worked for nearly a year in the Frank Meitzler drug store and Mr. Meitzler characterized him as a young man full of ambition, proud and anxious to make good in the world. When the war came on, he felt that his first and most sacred duty was to his country and he voluntarily offered his services. That he should fall a victim to appendicitis is indeed very sad and he was but 22 years, 4 months and 19 days old at the time of his demise.
     The remains will be taken to Grass Creek, Ind., for burial, but the time of the funeral was not known by friends here Tuesday.

Kraus, Elsie T.
Contributed by Beverly Henley
The Commercial Mail – Columbia City, Indiana
January 8, 1945 Page 6

     Mrs. Elsie T. Kraus, 61, wife of Sam Kraus, former local resident, died unexpectedly at 5:30 O’clock Sunday afternoon at the Kraus residence, 714 W Packard Ave., Fort Wayne. She had been ill for about six weeks with a heart ailment but her condition was not thought to be serious. Mrs. Kraus was a native of Pittsburgh, Pa., but had resided in Fort Wayne since her marriage to Mr. Kraus, a resident of Columbia City, at one time a member of the firm of Kraus and Apfelbaum, buyers in this city of seed grain and wool, before locating in Fort Wayne, where he was engaged in the grain and seed business. His father was the late Leopold Kraus. Mrs. Kraus was known for her work for the USO and also was prominent in amateur golf activities. She was a member of the Achduth Vesholom Temple and the Fort Wayne Country Club. She was a past president of the Temple Sisterhood and was vice-president of the community concert association. Surviving are the husband; a sister, Mrs. Nathan Rothschild; Fort Wayne; and a brother; Carl J. Krauerman of Butte, Montana. The body is at the Getz and Cahill Funeral Home. Funeral Arrangements will be announced later.

Kunberger, Emma L.
Contributed by Beverly Henley
The Commercial Mail – Columbia City, Indiana
Monday May 21, 1945 Page 6

     Emma L. Kunberger, past 61 years old, died Saturday night at 11:20 o’clock at the Linvill Memorial hospital in Columbia City. She had been ill for the past eight years and suffered a cerebral hemorrhage Friday morning. Death was pronounced due to cerebral apoplexy. She was born in Clear Creek on July 13, 1883 and was a daughter of William and Matilda Kaylor Dial. On September 10, 1902 she was united in marriage to Henry Edward Kunberger of Washington township who survives, together with a daughter, Mrs. Arthur D. Smith of Smith township. Tow daughters are dead. Three brothers Jacob Dial of Washington township, Walter Dial of Fort Wayne and Leroy Dian of Mishawaka and a sister Mrs. Rollen Keppler of Washington township. Mrs. Kunberger was a member of the Maple Grove United Brethren church. The body was taken to the DeMoney Funeral Home where friends may call. The funeral services will be held there at 1:30 o’clock Tuesday afternoon and will be conducted by the Rev. Charles J. Roberts pastor of the United Brethren church. Burial will be in the Eberhard cemetery.

Kunberger, Gottlieb
GSWC Pioneer Families of Whitley County (032-PF)
Unidentified News clipping
(Gottlieb died April 23, 1943)

     Gottlieb Kunberger, a resident of Washington township for the past 73 years, and who had been ill for a week, died Friday afternoon at the home of his son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Martin Trier, in Washington township. He had lived with Mr. and Mrs. Trier since the death of his wife in 1928.
     Mr. Kunberger was 94 on April 14, when a family dinner to celebrate the event was given at the Trier home. He was born near Stuttgart, Germany and came to the United Stated when he was 21 years old. Surviving relatives include two daughters, Mrs. Trier of Washington township and Mrs. Ervin Pook of South Whitley, and a son, Henry Kunberger of Washington township, ten grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.
     Brief rites were held at the Trier home followed by services at St. John’s Lutheran church of which Mr. Kunberger was a member. Rev. Valentine Hennig, pastor of St. John’s church was in charge. Burial was made in the Eberhard cemetery.



A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M 
N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  Y  Z 

Obituaries Home Page