Whitley is one of the northeastern counties of Indiana. It had a population, in 1870, of 14,399.THE FIRST SETTLERS
The name is derived from Gen. Whitley, a politician of some note in the early history of the State.
The surface of the county is diversified, with low grounds and wet prairies, in a few place; but as a rule the land is well drained, and in many parts pleasantly undulating. In the northern part, there are a number of small lakes, the principal of which are Blue River Lake—the largest in the county, and about a mile in length by half a mile in width; two lakes known as the Cedar Lakes; Crooked Lake, Robinson's Lake, Loon Lake, Round lake, Goose Lake, Old Lake, New Lake, Wilson's Lake and Shriner's Lake; besides these, are several of lesser acres. Robinson's Lake is partly in Kosciusko, and Crooked and Loon Lake are partly in Noble County.
The principal streams are Eel and Blue Rivers. The former heads in the wet prairies and swamps of Allen County, just east of the northeastern corner of the county, and flows in a southwesterly direction. In its winding course it is joined by many small tributaries. Blue River heads in Blue River Lake, in the northeast, and empties into Eel River, at Columbia City.
Travelers, in passing through the country by rail, seeing only the very poorest portion of it—particularly along the eastern part of the line of the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago Road—are prone to form a much more unfavorable opinion of Whitley than it deserves. Perhaps one-eighth of the area of the county is covered by oak openings and low swales or swamps; the remainder is fine, productive land, rising into considerable hills and ridges in some localities, notably so in Thorn Creek, Troy and Richland Township. The character of the soil may be judged from a heavy growth of black walnut, which was found in great profusion by the first settlers. There is also a heavy growth of white oak, with more or less ash, maple, beech, elm and other varieties of forest trees. All the staple productions of this latitudes are raise in profusion, and exported in large quantities. Large quantities of walnut logs and lumber, as well as ash lumber and oak staves and lumber, are exported. The revenue from walnut, to those who have been so fortunate as to hold their trees, has of late years been very lucrative, and it is estimated that, in portions of the county, as much as $500 and even more has been realized from the walnut timber on one acres of land alone. Much of the hard-wood lumber is shipped to less fortunate localities in the West, and the lumber interest brings in large sums to the county yearly.
Whitley County was attached to Huntington County, until organized into a separate county. The first settlers came into the county in 1834. The pioneer of those who came for the purpose of making the then wilderness a permanent home was Jesse Long. He arrived with his family from Greene County, Ohio, in June, 1834, and settled in what is now Smith Township, and entered the land where his son, Joseph Long, still lived. Francis Tulley was the next comer, and located in the same neighborhood, on the north bank of Eel River, in Smith Township. Samuel Nickey, also from Ohio, and Samuel Smith joined these in the summer of 1834. Several immigrants and their families came the following winters, and in 1835 immigration flowed in, in increasing numbers, until a considerable beginning was made in the wilderness, which had until then covered the territory now known as Whitley County.THE PRIMITIVE SCHOOLS AND CHURCHES.
The next point about which settlers began to locate was Springfield, now South Whitely, in Cleveland Township. Among the first to arrive were the Parrett, Cleveland, Chaplin and Swihart families, early in 1835. The immigrants who settled in that community were mostly from Ohio, New York and a few from New England. John Collins and his family came from Wayne County, Indiana, in September 1835, and others arrived in increasing numbers, in the ensuing summer, and until the organization of the county.
The first settlers were in many instance forced to cut and clear roads for themselves, in order to reach their lands. The only roads in the county were the Fort Wayne and Goshen road, and another known as the Yellow River road, which crossed the Eel River in the eastern part of the county. The next wagon road of any importance was located and cut out by the settlers themselves, and was that from Huntington to Goshen. Afterward came the road from Fort Wayne to Warsaw, and then others of local importance only. These wagon tracks were engineered and opened under many difficulties, and, though imperfect, answered their purpose for the time being.
Until they were able to raise sufficient grain for their home consumption, the settlers were obliged to purchase their corn and wheat on the Elkhart Prairie to the northwest, or in the older settled regions southeast. The nearest mills were in Fort Wayne, and those who made the journey there and back in two days, and without accident through the swamps considered themselves particularly fortunate.
The first grist and saw-mill in the county was erected by Richard Baughan, and completed in 1837. It was in he eastern part of Thorn Creek Township, on Blue River, and was run by water power. The concern was a rude one, and grinding part was of the kind known by the settlers as the corn-cracker. It was, however, a great convenience, and its establishment was regarded as a great point gained by the isolated pioneers.
The Indians found in the county in considerable numbers were of the Miami tribe, which was, however, fast dwindling away. The aborigines were of a roving disposition, but made the heavily wooded parts of the country their home, as a general thing, in the winter season. There was an Indian village of perhaps a hundred and fifty inhabitant in Union Township, and a number of Indian families had their cabins and corn patches on Eel River, along the Goshen road. Three Indian reservation are still shown on the county maps, extending in a northwestern direction across half the county, with a width of over two miles. The principal is the Seek's Village Reservation; next is the Beaver Reservation, west of the first and Chapiene, east of it.
One of the most noted of the red men with whom the white came in contact was Coesse, whose name will be handed down to other generations through the town in this county named after him. His Indian name as Pc-can-co-an-sah-quah, and at the time of the advent of the first settlers and for many years after, he was the most influential of the Miami tribe in that section. When the Miamis were removed to Kansas, in 1842, he went with them, in order to see them established in their new homes, but refused to cast his lot with them permanently, and returned to his reservation, just south of Columbia City, where he died and was buried in 1854. He acquired a considerable fortune before his death. His widow is still living, at this writing, in Northern Wisconsin. Chastle was the principal hunting chief of the Miami in the county, and was always found honorable and trust-worthy by the whites. Another of the red men, John Turkey, acquired an unenviable notoriety for being the most vicious redskin in the county. He killed several members of his tribe, and was a reprobate generally. Turkey was often to be found in Columbia City when it was still an infant town. He was a frequent inmate of the first jail, and, on one memorable occasion, came near roasting himself by firing the jail, in order to regain his freedom. Turkey was a noted marksman, and was ready at all time to give exhibitions of his skill, in the town, for a drink of fire-water.
The oldest settler in Troy Township was Zebulon Burch, who was also one of the very first to come into the county. After him came Stephen Martin, Joel Rhine, G. W. Elder and Carter McDonald. Among the first to locate in Washington Township were the Tracys; and in Jefferson, the Crowells and Blees. Columbia Township, in which the county seat was finally located, was not settled for some time after the immigrants in other townships had located themselves. The first to arrive came in 1840 and 1841. One Reese settled at a place but a short distance southwest of the present town site. He was followed soon by Homer Alexander, the first Surveyor, J. W. Baker, John Rhodes, David Long, Benjamin Grable and Noah Tinkham.
The settlers in the northeastern part of the country, for the first few years, attended divine services in Allen County, not far from the Whitely County line. The first ministers were of the Methodist denomination. Price Goodrich and Anderson D. Parrett were the first Methodist preachers. The former lived in the southern part of the county. The first circuit preachers who ministered to the infant settlement in Smith Township were Elders Ball and Reed. The first Methodist class organized in the county was about 1836, and was composed of but seven persons, as follows: Samuel Nickey and Wife, Francis Tulley and wife, William and Rebecca Gradeless and Catherine Nickey.THE FIRST COURTS.
The first church was organized by the Methodists, 1838, at Concord Corners, in the northeastern part of the county. It was built of hewn logs and has a seating capacity of about 200.
The first regular services at the county seat were held in private houses, and afterward, for some time, in the brick school house erected in 1848, southwest of the present court house.
The first church built in Columbia City was erected by the Methodists, in 1849, on South line street, and is still standing.
The first school house built in the county was made of logs laid together, in primitive style, in 1838. It was on the farm now owned by Lemuel Dewald, in Smith Township. The pupils were forced to come long distances throughout the sparsely settled and scattered community or else deprive themselves of school privileges altogether. The first teacher was Josiah Brown.
The first school house built of brick was erected in Columbia City, in 1849, and is still standing
The first physician in the county was Dr. Francis L. McHugh, an Irishman, of great professional skill and varied learning. He was a graduate of the University of Dublin, and lived for many years a few miles west of Columbia City. When the county was yet new, it was full of Miasma, and it is said that at one time, in the fall of 1841, there was not a single well person in the entire county. As the woods began to be cleared off and the surplus water drained away, the general health improved vastly, so that now the county compares favorably with others. The first physicians, however, were kept moving in a lively manner.
The first trader in the county from whom the settlers were able to draw their supplies was a Frenchman named Francis Godfroy, who kept a small store on the Goshen and Fort Wayne road, southeast of Blue River Lake. The next trading places were established at South Whitley and Columbia City.
The first term of the Whitley Circuit Court was held about two miles northeast of where Columbia City now is, at the house of Richard Baughan, April 9, 1839. The Hon. Charles W. Ewing was the Presiding Judge, and Benjamin Martin and Francis A. Van Houton, Associate Judges. John W. Wright, the prosecuting Attorney for the circuit, was absent, and Reuben J. Dawson was appointed Prosecuting Attorney in his stead for the term. Richard Collins was the first Sheriff. The following is a list composing the first grand jury which was impaneled at this term of court: David Wolf, Seth A. Lucas, Joseph Turkham, William Cordill, Levi Curtis, Samuel Creger, James Jones, Jesse Speer, Christopher W. Long, John G. Braddock, Horace Cleveland, Adam Egolf, William Vanmeter and Peter Circle. The court appointed Christopher W. Long foreman, and John H. Alexander was sworn in as the first Bailiff, and placed in charge of the grand jury. The same day, the body reported that it had no business before it, and was discharged by the court. Abraham Cuppy was the first Clerk of the court.SELECTION OF A COUNTY SEAT—THE PUBLIC BUILDINGS
The first civil case tried by the court was a bill in chancery brought by Webster et al. vs Webster et al., for the partition of real estate. Publication of the requisite notice was made in the Fort Wayne Sentinel and Richmond Jeffersonian, where being no paper in the county.
John H. Alexander was, on the day following the opening of the court, appointed County Surveyor, to serve for one year, and gave bond in the sum of $3,000 for the faithful performance of his duty. The court, the same day adjourned, having finished the business on the docket. Baughan was allowed $3 for the use of his house by the court.
The fist petit jurors were as follows: Samuel Hertsook, Daniel Hively, Benjamin Gardner, Stephen Martin, James Ruseau, Benjamin Grable, Jesse W. Long, Benjamin Crusan, Benjamin H. Cleveland, Thomas Costick, James Zulman, John W. More, George C. Pence, John Collins, Jesse Alexander, Francis Tulley, Jacob Brumbaugh, Lewis Kinsey and William Blair.
The first Recorder was Abraham Cuppy. The first Auditor elected after that office was created was Richard Collins. The first Treasurer was Benjamin Grable.
John B. Chapman was the first attorney admitted to the bar in the county. The first resident lawyer in the county was James L. Worden, afterward elected Judge of the Supreme Court. He moved to Columbia City about the time, or shortly after the county set was located, but remained only a short time
The first criminal indictment in the county was found against Joseph Pierce, for retailing without license. He plead guilty, and was fined there-upon $2. Nine similar indictments were found against the same defendant, Pierce, on the same charge, and were tried before the court adjourned.
The first marriage license was issued to Jacob Kistler and Sophia Paine, on the 1st of September, 1838.
The first tax duplicate, in 1839, was made out on four pages of foolscap, and the total sum levied for taxes amounted to but $302.93½.
The first meeting of the Commissioners was held at the house of Joseph Parrett, Jr., May 7, 1838, near South Whitley. The members of the board were Otto W. Gandy, Nathaniel Gradeless and Joseph Parrett, Jr. Gandy was chosen President. John Collins was appointed County Treasurer. A license to vend merchandise was granted to Pierce, Starkweather & Co., for one year, the sum of $5 collected from them for the privilege.
Samuel Smith, James Jones and Samuel Dungan were appointed the fist Supervisors.
The election of the first Justices of the Peace was ordered for Smith Township, May 28, 1838, and Talcut Perry was appointed Inspector of said election. Joseph Crow and Jesse Long were the first Overseers of the Poor, and were appointed for Smith Township, also.
After Columbia City was selected as the county seat, the courts were held at the hotel of David Long, and at the house of Abraham Cuppy, the Clerk of the court. There were no buildings with sufficient room to afford separate apartments for juries to deliberate in, so that usually, in good weather, they marched out to some convenient log, and, seating themselves upon it, made up their verdict.
Columbia, as it as then called, or Columbia City, was made the county seat, upon condition that Henry Ellsworth and his associates, the owners of the section of land upon which the city stands, should donate the undivided half of the said section to the county, and also erect a mill in the town. The date of the establishment of the county seat may be given as May, 1840, at the time the town plat of Columbia was filed with the County Recorder. The condition imposed upon the founders of the town site, in relation to the erection a mill, was fulfilled, afterward, according to the agreement. Henry Ellsworth was, at the time, United States Commissioner of the Patent Office, and he, together with William L. Dayton, of New Jersey, afterward candidate for the Vice Presidency with Fremont, and others associated with them, owned no small area of land near the center of the county, where they had good reason to supposed the seat of justice would be located.COLUMBIA CITY
The first court house in the county stood on the site of the present post office building. It was a two-story frame structure, finished in 1840, and consisted of nothing more than a court room on the first floor, with jury rooms above.
The first county offices provided for the transaction of the county business were across the street from the east side of the court house square.
The County Commissioners endeavored to have a court house constructed to replace the frame make-shift in 1846. A contract was let to this effect, but it was never carried out, and the work had to be done over. The second contract was let to Washburne & Swihart, who completed the brick court house now in use (1875). The contract price was $8,100, but the building cost several hundred dollars more when completed. It was turned over to the county, ready to use, in 1851, at which time it was the best court house to be found in that judicial circuit. The building, considering the price of it, is a very fine piece of workmanship, and could not now be replaced for twice that sum.
The old jail and Sheriff's residence is west of the court house, and will shortly be superseded by a new building, southeast of the court house, now nearly complete. The new jail is constructed of solid stone work, and with the brick residence in front, presents an imposing appearance. The total cost was over $35,000. Brattin & Goshorn were the contracts.
The names of the country officers are as follows: Auditor, R. A. Jellison; Clark, James Reider; Sheriff, W. H. Liggett; Treasurer, Jacob A. Baker; Recorder, John Wigent; Coroner, John Richards; Commissioners, William Dunlap, Jacob A. Ramsey, Richard W. Paige, Representative, Thomas Washburn; County Superintendent, A. J. Douglass.
This town was incorporated December 15, 1845, the following being a list of the petitioners asking the County Commissioners to order an election for that purpose: D. E. long, S. H. Wunderlich, John Gillespie, H. M. C. Curtis, H. Hannah, Benjamin Grable, Benjamin Grable, jr., A. L. Munger, A. K. Goodrich, Michael Hiveley, F. L. McHugh, James S. Collins, Lafayette Lamson, Warren Mason, John Rhodes, J. W. Baker, R. Kniseley, Richard Collins, J. Keefer, Sylvester Knapp, J. H. Pratt, John H. Alexander, Levi Myers, H. Swihart, Nathaniel Fish, David Shepley, James F. Lattimore and W. S. Zetts.THE PRESS.
The first town plat was recorded in May, 1840, and contained about one hundred and eighty lots. The town proprietors in their contract with eh county agreed to erect a mill, which they did. The enterprise was a great convenience to the settlers in the surrounding country. It was run by water-power, and was town down some time ago. At the time of its construction there was but one other mill in the county, that being owned by Richard Baughan.
Columbia City remained a small town until the completion of the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railway, or, as it was then called, the Fort Wayne & Chicago Railway, which was finished to the place in 1856. About the same time, an effort was made to build another railway through the town and county, viz.; the Detroit, Eel River and Illinois line. After about one-third of the work of grading was done, the enterprise was abandoned. It was resuscitated in 1868 by a new company, which let a contract to D. L. Quirk & Co., who, in 1871, complete the road from Auburn to Roann. In 1872, it was completed to Logansport, and in 1878 to Butler, where it connects with the Lake Shore line for the East. James Collins of Columbia City. James Collins, of Columbia City, was, for some years, President of the corporation. Since the completion of this last names railway, Columbia City has increased rapidly in population, and a number of fine business blocks attest the substantial progress which the town is making The population in 1870 was over 1,600, and is now, according to a local census, over 2,300.
The first hotel keeper in the town was David Long, the first store was kept by Mrs. John Rhodes; the first log house erected in the town was where now stands the house of J. B. Edwards, the first church (built by the Methodists) was on South Line street, and is still in use. In addition to this, the English Lutherans, Catholics, Baptists, German Lutherans and Reformed Germans have houses of worship in the place.
The schools are in charge of J. A. Douglas, assisted by a competent corps of teachers.
The manufacturing interests of Columbia City are represented by two flouring-mills, two stave factories, one hub and spoke factory, a foundry and machine shop, and an extensive brewery. There are two banks and two grain elevators.
The town officers of Columbia City, at the present time (1875), are as follows: Trustees, William Luicke, Jacob Wunderlich, Henry Snyder, Isaac W. Prickett, George Steerhoff, J. A. Taupert; Clark, Heber Collins; Treasurer, —— Meeley; Marshal, Henry Van Orsdell.
Churubusco is the second town in importance in the county, and has an elevator and a number of wood-working and other shops.
South Whitley is the oldest town in the county, the town plot being filed in 1838.
Larwill, Coesse, Collamer, Etna, Forest and Collins are towns of more or less note.
The first paper in the county was the Pioneer, started by J. A. Berry in 1854. The Columbia City News was started by I. B. McDonald in 1857; his successor was E. Zimmerman, who, in 1864, changed the name to the Columbia City Post. McDonald was again the owner in 1864, and sold the paper to Frank J. Zimmerman in 1865, who, in turn, sold to E. W. Brown, the present editor and proprietor. The paper is Democratic.
The Argus was started in opposition to the Democracy, in 1855. In 1868, the name Republican, was adopted. A. Z. Hooper, Mr. Weamer, Henry Bridge and J. W. Baker were successively editors of the paper, which is presently conducted by the last named under the name of the Columbia City Commercial.
— Biographical Sketches —
HON. THOMAS WASHBURN was born in Harrison County, Virginia, July 28th 1805. His family before him had descended from the Welsh. In 1843, he came to Indiana and settled in Whitley County, having first pent several years in the State of Ohio, before he had heard of the promised land, and in Whitley has abided ever since. By occupation he is a carpenter, surveyor and merchant.
In Ohio and Indiana He held the office of Justice of the Pease, and discharged he duties of the office with the dignity becoming that exalted office. He was Auditor of Whitley County four years from 1844, and State Senator in 1852. He is Democratic first, last and all the time. Mr. Washburn resides in Columbia City.
HON HENRY SWIHART, third son of Adam and Catharine Swihart, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, March 7, 1807; was married to Dorothea Ulrick, October 1831; came to Whitley County, Indiana, February 19th, 1836, where he has resided every since; was twice elected to the Indiana Legislatures—1848, and also in 1849; was county Commissioner from 1853- to 1856, also Country Recorder for Whitley County' was Associate Judge of the Country for several years, Judge Swihart was done much for the interests of Whitley County. He did much, worked hard, and spent much money to build the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railroad. No man has been more public spirited, no man has been a better friend to the poor and laboring classes. than Henry Swihart.
HON. ISAIAH BURRITT McDONALD, second son of Carter and Elizabeth McDonald, was born in Woodville, Rappahannock County, Virginia, September 18, 1826. In 1836, removed with his parents to Wayne County, Ohio, and in 1842 to Whitely County, Indiana. In early life he followed the vocation of carpenter and joiner, teaching school and going to school. After attending two terms a the Edinburg Academy in Wayne County, Ohio, he taught in the State of Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. In May, 1852 he returned to Columbia City, where he commended the practice of the law. In 1852, was elected Prosecuting Attorney for Noble and Whitley Counties, in which capacity he continued to serve til 1855, when he was elected County Clerk. In April, 1861, he enlisted in Company R., Seventeenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, served three years and two months in the army in the respective positions of Second Lieutenant, Aid-de-Camp, Captain and C.S., U. S. Volunteers. In 1853, he was appointed and Commissioner Lieutenant Colonel of the Sixth West Virginia Veteran Cavalry by Gov. Goreman, of West Virginia. Upon his return from the army, in 1864, he was appointed School Examiner for Whitley County, in which position he served till December, 1870, when he resigned to take the office of Representative in the Legislature. In January, 1871, he took his seat in the Legislature and was Chairman of the Judiciary Committee in the House. He is now practicing law, and farming at his home. Has done much for the schools, and the agricultural interests of the county, as well as building up Columbia City.
Col. McDonald is a self-made man, possessed of great energy and industry, and has saved enough of this world's good for comfort in old age.
BUSINESS DIRECTORY WHITLEY COUNTY
HOOPER & OLDS, Attorney at law, office over Columbia City Bank.
I. B. McDONALD, Attorney at Law and Notary Public.
TULLEY & KRIDER, Attorneys at Law, office No. 3 Central Building.
COLLINS & ADAIR, Attorneys at Law, will practice in all court of this State.
E. L. McLALLEN & CO., Bankers, Farmers' Bank.
J. F. SPAULDING, Barber, Tousorial Bazaar, Hot and Col Bath Rooms. Special attention paid to hair dressing of all kinds and in the latest styles.
J. R. RICE, Blacksmithing of all kinds done to order.
HERMAN THIELE, Civil Engineer.
A. YOUNG, Cigars and Tobacco. Wholesale and Retail Dealer in Cigars, Tobacco, Snuff, Pipes, Smokers' Material, Also fine assortment of Cigar Holders and Tobacco Pouches. Fine Cut Chewing Tobacco a speciality.
S. A. HOOVER, Carpenter and Builder.
WORTH & MEISER, Clothing, men's and Boys' Clothing, Hats, Caps and Gents Furnishing Goods of every description Cheapest place in town.
H. A. HOUSEL, Dentist.
WARREN MASON, Druggist, Dealer in Drugs and Chemicals, Pure Wines and Liquors for Medicinal Purposes, Perfumery and Fancy Articles, and everything pertaining to a first-class Drug Store.
J. HARRIS, Dry Goods, Notions, Clothing and Groceries. Produce Taken in exchange for goods.
I. W. BAKER, Editor and Publisher of Whitley County Commercial. General Job Printing.
E. W. BROWN, Proprietor of Columbia City Post.
M. D. YOUTZ, Groceries and Provisions. Produce taken in exchange for goods.
J. TAYLOR, Jr., Groceries, etc.
J. W. MILLER, Hotel. Proprietor of Miller House. First-class accommodations. Good Sample room for agents. cor. Van Buren and Linn sts.
DAVID RUCH, Livery Stable. Proprietor of Ruch's Livery and Feed Stable. First-class rigs at reasonable rates. Office on Linn St.
A. P. MITTEN, Physician and Surgeon, office Bank Building.
F. M. MAGERS, Physician and Druggist.
J. J. REAM, Photographer, over Columbia City Bank.
R. H. ROSE, Painter, House and Sign.
J. J. WHITE, Restaurant.
D. W. STRONG, Railroading.
B. RAUPFER, Restaurant and Saloon. Choice Wines and Liquors, Also a Peerless Pool Table.
THOMAS WASHBURN, Surveyor and Real Estate Dealer.
J. B. EDWARDS, Saloon. Find Liquors, etc.
J. F. INKS, Boots and Shoes.LARWILL.
F. W. CLEVELAND, Carpenter and Joiner.
H. D. CLEVELAND, Dry Goods Clerk.
M. VINTER, Fancy Goods, etc.
F. S. REMINGTON, Hardware, Stoves and Tinware, Iron, Farmers's and Mechanics; Tools, etc.
G. R. CLAPP, Grain Merchant.
M. E. FOSTER, Milliner.
R. SCHOLL, Milliner.
T. E. FOSTER, Milliner.
J. ARNOLD, Jr., Miller.
H. S. MENAUGH, Merchant, General Mdse.
I. H. MILLER, Merchant. General Mdse.
J. R. BAKER, Physician.
E. MERRIMAN, Physician.
W. H. SCANTLING, Railroad Agent.
P. PARRETT, Saloon.
Z. JOHNSON, Stock Dealer, Hogs, Sheep, etc.
D. C. MOLONEY, Tailor.
I. PHILLIP, Carpenter.
J. B. SPURGON, Druggist.
N. FAGOR, Merchant.
J. R. WILLIAMS, Miller.
D. HALDERMAN, Miller and Farmer
E. H. MILLER, Merchant and Farmer.
J. C. GRAFTON, Physician.
J. A. SHANNEP, Telegraph Operator.
V. L. ALMS, CarpenterCHURUBUSCO.
A. K. McELNEE, Dry Goods Clerk.
N. W. YOUNG, Dry Goods Clerk.
C. E. McBRIDE, Dry Goods Clerk.
J. G. WHITELEATHER. Hotel Keeper.
A. F. JOHNSON, Lumber Dealer and Farmer.
J. F. KERR, Merchant.
C. EVERETT, Photographer.
E. A. MOSSMAN, Attorney at Law and Notary Public.COESSE.
D. H. HUGHES, Billiard Hall.
M. W. HAWK, Carpenter and Farmer.
J. D. BREESE, Hotel. Proprietor Churubusco House. First-class in every respect. Sample room for agents. Livery in connection with the house.
G. KINZY, Gun Dealer.
D. L. YOUNG, Cigar Manufacturer.
T. F. GILLILAND & CO., Lumber and Stave Manufacturers.
B. N. FOWLER, Lumber Dealer.
E. SNYDER, Merchant.
M. MODRICKER, Physician.
W. T. BIRNEY, Physician.
J. G. KAUFRAN, Painter.
A. GAYLORD, Telegraph Operator.
S. M. SPENCER, Boot and Shoe Manufacturer. All work warranted and done on short notice.
P. RAUCH, Carpenter and Builder and Farmer.
E. J. SCHWAB, Druggist, Drugs, Medicines, Oils, Paints, Varnish, Glass, etc.
REUBEN DREW, Dry Goods, Groceries, Notions, Boots and Shoes. Produce taken in exchange for goods.
W. SHIFLER, Jeweler, Watches, Clocks, etc.
N. J. KITHCART, Physician.
JAMES A. CAMPBELL, Attorney at LawSouth Whitley
WILLIAM CARR, Contractor and Builder, Dealer in all kinds of Cut and Rough Stone, Lime, Cement, Plaster, etc.
C. W. Edwards, M. D., of J. K. Combs & Co., Dry Goods, Groceries, Queensare, Boots and Shoes, Hats, Caps and General Produce, Shippers of Live Stocks, etc.LARWILL.
A. BAKER, Lumberman.
J. B. FIRESTONE, Physician and Surgeon.
D. KIRKPATRICK, Physician and Surgeon.
J. C. MARRS, Slate Rodding.
— PATRONS INDIANA STATE ATLAS —
NAME Residence BUSINESS NATIVITY STATE OFFICE
Aumrock, W. M. South Whitley Teacher Indiana 1853 South Whitley
Arnold, John South Whitley Miller Indiana 1852 South Whitley
Baker, J. R. South Whitley Physician Ohio 1857 South Whitley
Cleveland, B. H. Section 11 Farmer Vermont 1835 South Whitley
Cleveland, F. W. South Whitley Carpenter & Builder Indiana 1845 South Whitley
Clapp, G. R. South Whitley Grain Merchant Indiana 1848 South Whitley
Cleveland, H. D. South Whitley Dry Goods Clerk Indiana 1859 South Whitley
Edwards, C. W. South Whitley Physician & Surgeon Tennessee 1820 South Whitley
Fager, Moah Collamer. Merchant Indiana 1842 Collamer
Fasler, M. E. South Whitley Milliner Indiana 1845 South Whitley
Fosler, T. E. South Whitley Milliner Indiana 1850 South Whitley
Grafton, J. C. Section 5 Physician Ohio 1847 Collamer
Halderman, D. Section 6 Merchant Ohio 1846 Collamer
Haley, Miss Mollie Collamer. Teacher Ohio 1860 Collamer
Inks, J. F. South Whitley Boot & Shoe Dealer Indiana 1838 South Whitley
Johnson, Z. South Whitley Stock Dealer Ohio 1852 South Whitley
Jones, Kaie Section 9 Farmer Indiana 1846 South Whitley
Lane, F. W. South Whitley Teacher Virginia 1857 South Whitley
Menaugh, H. S. South Whitely General Merchant Pennsylvania 1873 South Whitley
Miller, J. H. South Whitely General Merchant Pennsylvania 1872 South Whitley
Merriman, E. South Whitley Physician Ohio 1843 South Whitley
Miller, E. H. Section 1 Farmer & Merchant Indiana 1851 Collamer
Myers, W. S. Farmer Indiana 1853 Collamer
Maloney, D. C. South Whitley Tailor Pennsylvania. 1826 South Whitley
Moe, John C. Section 9 Farmer. Ohio 1853 South Whitley
Pence, A. H. Section 10 Farmer. Ohio 1848 South Whitley
Phillip, Isaac Section 6 Farmer & Carpenter Ohio 1845 Collamer
Parret, P South Whitley Saloon Keeper Indiana 1847 South Whitley
Phillips, H. M. Farmer. Indiana 1843 South Whitley
Remington, F.S. & Co. South Whitley General Hardware Connecticut 1861 South Whitley
Ramsey, James Farmer Ohio 1860 Collamer
Rynearson, H. B. Farmer Ohio 1861 South Whitley
Spurgon, J. B. Collamer Druggist Ohio 1860 Collamer
Summers, S. M. South Whitley Teacher Indiana 1855 Collamer
Shannep, J. A. Collamer Telegraph Operator Indiana 1853 Collamer
Saylor, R. C. South Whitley Teacher Ohio 1853 South Whitley
Stewart, T. M. Section 33. Farmer Ohio 1842 South Whitley
Schall, Katie South Whitley Milliner Ohio 1830 South Whitley
Scantling, W. H. South Whitley Railroad Agent Indiana 1855 South Whitley
Winter, M. V. South Whitley Fancy Goods Pennsylvania. 1848 South Whitley
Williams Wm. O. South Whitley Miller Ohio 1848 South Whitley
Williams, J. R. Collamer Miller Ohio 1851 Collamer
Wayman, M. South Whitley Methodist Minister Kentucky 1826 South Whitley
NAME Residence BUSINESS NATIVITY STATE OFFICE
Baker, J. W. Columbia City Editor, Commercial Ohio 1860 Columbia City
Brown, Eli W. Columbia City Editor, Post Ohio 1850 Columbia City
Collins & Adair. Columbia City Attorneys Indiana 1843 Columbia City
Campbell, J. A. Columbia City Attorneys New York 1854 Columbia City
Carr, Wm. Columbia City Stonecutter England 1864 Columbia City
Edward, J B. Columbia City Saloon Keeper Pennsylvania 1841 Columbia City
Hooper & Olds Columbia City Attorneys Ohio 1853 Columbia City
Hooper & Olds Columbia City Attorneys Ohio 1868 Columbia City
Honsel, H. A. Columbia City Dentist Ohio 1862 Columbia City
Hoover, S. A. Columbia City Carpenter Ohio 1870 Columbia City
Harris, J. Columbia City Dry Goods & Groc's Maryland 1836 Columbia City
Mitten, Allen P. Columbia City Physician & Surgeon Ohio 1847 Columbia City
Miller, J. W. Columbia City Hotel Ohio 1848 Columbia City
Magers, F. M. Columbia City Physician & Druggist Ohio 1865 Columbia City
Mason, Warren Columbia City Druggist New York 1843 Columbia City
McDonald I. B. Columbia City Attorneys Virginia 1842 Columbia City
McLallen, E. L. & Co. Columbia City Bankers New York 1844 Columbia City
Olds, Walter Columbia City Attorneys Ohio 1869 Columbia City
Ream I. I. Columbia City Photographer Ohio 1874 Columbia City
Rice, J. R. Columbia City Blacksmith Pennsylvania 1869 Columbia City
Raupfer, Benj. Columbia City Restaurant Germany 1864 Columbia City
Ruch, David Columbia City Livery Pennsylvania 1844 Columbia City
Rose, R. H. Columbia City Painter Ohio 1873 Columbia City
Spaulding, J. Frank. Columbia City Tonsorial Bazaar New York 1872 Columbia City
Studebaker, Rev. A. H.Columbia City Paster Lutheran Ch. Ohio 1872 Columbia City
Strong D. W. Columbia City Railroading Indiana 1850 Columbia City
Thiele, Herman Columbia City Civil Engineer Germany 1871 Columbia City
Taylor, James Columbia City Grocery Indiana 1855 Columbia City
Tulley, Cyrus B. Columbia City Attorney Indiana 1839 Columbia City
Tulley & Krider Columbia City Attorneys Indiana 1848 Columbia City
White, John J. Columbia City Restaurant Indiana 1833 Columbia City
Worth & Meiser Columbia City Clothiers Indiana Columbia City
Washburn, Thos. Columbia City Surveyor Virginia 1843 Columbia City
Young, A. Columbia City Cigars & Tobacco Germany 1868 Columbia City
Yontz, M. D. Columbia City Grocery Ohio 1867 Columbia City
Breese, J. D. Churubusco Churubusco Hotel Ohio 1870 Churubusco
Beavers, N. W. Section 24 Farmer Michigan 1840 Churubusco
Coulter, Geo. W. Section 5 Farmer Ohio 1846 Alma
Deardorff, A. Section 10 Farmer Pennsylvania 1856 Churubusco
Fowler. J. N. Section 7 Lumber Dealer Missouri 1871 Columbia City
Gilliland, T. F. Churubusco Spoke, Hub & Lumber
Dealer New York 1874 Churubusco
Gaff, Gorge Section 4 P. M. & Farmer Ohio 1839 Alma
Gaylord, Albert Churubusco Telegraph Operator Indiana 1855 Churubusco
Hawk, M. W. Section 11 Carpenter & Farmer Ohio 1867 Churubusco
Harter, J. Section 1 Farmer Ohio 1838 Churubusco
Hedges, Wm. Section 18 Farmer Ohio 1836 Alma
Hughes, D. H. Churubusco Cigar Mnfr. & Billiards Ohio 1854 Churubusco
Harris J. Churubusco Dry Goods & Groceries Maryland 1836 Churubusco
Jeffries, M. L. Section 27 Farmer Virginia 1844 Churubusco
Kinzy, Gideon Churubusco Gunsmith Switzerland 1849 Churubusco
Kaufman, J. G. Churubusco Painter Pennsylvania 1855 Churubusco
Kingden, J. Section 1 Farmer England 1850 Churubusco
Leach, Sam'l Section 7 Farmer Ohio 1839 Columbia City
Mossman, Ed. A. Churubusco Attorney & J. P. Ohio 1852 Churubusco
Modricker, M. Churubusco Physician Germany 1865 Churubusco
Magers, F W. Churubusco Physician & Druggist Ohio 1865 Churubusco
Miller, Wm. Section 36
Ospach, P. S. ………… Farmer Indiana 1848 Churubusco
Pompey, T. Section 23 Farmer Ohio 1840 Churubusco
Ream, J. W. Churubusco Teacher Indiana 1849 Churubusco
Rose, R. H. Churubusco House & Sign Painter Ohio 1873 Churubusco
Snyder, E. Churubusco Merchant Indiana 1847 Churubusco
Smith, G. H. ………… Teacher Indiana 1855 Churubusco
Young, D. L. Churubusco Cigar Manufacturer New York 1831 Churubusco
Briggs, Silas Section 3 Farmer & Stock Dealer Ohio 1848 Collins
Briggs, Andrew J. Section 3 Farmer & Stock Dealer Ohio 1850 Collins
Depen Elijah Section 34 Farmer Ohio 1860 Coesse
Drew, Reuben Coesse Dry Goods New York 1855 Coesse
Gradeless, W. T. Section 2 Farmer & Teacher Indiana 1843 Collins
Hallenbeck, J. J. Section 16 Farmer New York 1850 Coesse
Kithcart, N. M. Coesse Physician Ohio 1873 Coesse
Morse, Wm. C. Section 36 Farmer New York 1852 Coesse
Rauch, Philip Section 5 Farmer & Carpenter Ohio 1854 Coesse
Rauch, Samuel Section 18 Farmer & Stock Dealer Ohio 1845 Coesse
Schwab, E. J. Coesse Druggist, etc. Switzerland 1864 Coesse
Spencer, S. M. Coesse Boots & Shoes Ohio 1865 Coesse
Shifler, Wm. Coesse Jeweler Indiana 1852 Coesse
Shaw, J. H. Section 17 Farmer & Stock Dealer Ohio 1845 Coesse
Saylor, Solomon Section 33 Farmer New York 1860 Coesse
Tousley, Luke Section 23 Farmer Ohio 1844 Coesse
Alms, Virgil L. Larwill Carpenter Indiana 1858 Larwill
Baker, A. Larwill Lumberman Ohio 1858 Larwill
Everett, Charles Larwill Photographer Ohio 1857 Larwill
Firestone,J. B. Larwill Physician & Surgeon Ohio 1855 Larwill
Johnson, Asa F. Section 29 Farmer & Lumber Dealer New York 1859 Larwill
Kerr, J. M. Larwill Merchant Ohio 1856 Larwill
Knie, Jacob Section 6 Farmer Germany 1846 Pierceton
Kirkpatrick, Daniel Larwill Physician & Surgeon Ohio 1855 Larwill
McElwee, A. K. Larwill Dry Goods Clerk Indiana 1852 Larwill
McBride, C. E. Larwill Dry Goods Clerk Indiana 1853 Larwill
Marrs, J. C. Larwill Slate Roofing Indiana Larwill
Magden, David Section 6 Farmer Pierceton
Sult, Henry Section 19 Farmer Indiana 1853 Collamer
Whiteleather, J. G. Larwill Hotel Keeper Ohio 1849 Larwill
Young, N. W. Larwill Dry Goods Clerk New Hampshire 1839 Larwill
Chavey, Jacob Section 15 Farmer France 1853 Columbia City
Chamberlain, J. Section 16 Farmer Ohio 1853 South Whitley
Dumick, David Section 8 Farmer Ohio 1865 South Whitley
Goble, E. Section 28 Farmer Ohio 1853 Laud
Metz, O. Section 6 Farmer Ohio 1853 South Whitley
Miller, John Section 18 Farmer Germany 1859 South Whitley
Mullendore, J. Section 7 Farmer Ohio 1859 South Whitley
Mullet, Daniel Section 26 Farmer Ohio 1864 Laud
Metzler, Joseph Section 26 Farmer Ohio 1852 Laud
Richards, G. Section 30 Farmer France 1853 South Whitley
Brandenburg, E. Section 17 Farmer Ohio 1850 Columbia City
Bayless, L. A. Section 27 Farmer Indiana 1855 Fort Wayne
Dunfee, J. S. Section 17 Farmer Ohio 1851 Columbia City
Druley, J. W. Section 5 Farmer Ohio 1861 Coesse
Kelsey, S. B. Section 13 Farmer & Stock Dealer Ohio 1832 Fort Wayne
Mowery, J. Section 5 Farmer Ohio 1862 Columbia City
Olinger, Jacob M. Section 1 Farmer Ohio 1841 Marion
Snodgrass, John Section 6 Farmer & Stock Dealer Ohio 1834 Pierceton