Whitley County Obituaries

Foust, Alfred Lorain
Unidentified News Clip in "the Scrapbook"
Died December 5, 1899

[Abstract - view scanned copy for full obituary]
     Alfred Lorain Foust was born in Delware county, Ohio on January 26, 1839 and died in Columbia City on December 5, 1899, aged 60 years 10 months and 9 days. He was married to Loretta C. Smith. They had four children, three survive: A. H. Foust, Mrs. Mabel Morsches, and Cleon Foust, Claud C. died when 9 years old. His wife died June 8, 1883. In 1886 he moved to Columbia City and was employed by his brother, F. H. Foust as superintendent of his farms.
     He was stricken with typhoid fever, and after suffering for ten days, death came to his relief. In addition to the two sons and the daughter, he leaves two brothers, Franklin H., of this city; and Solomon, of near Wichita, Kansas; a sister, Mrs. Eunice Smith, also of Kansas.

Foust, Archie Henry
Unidentified News Clip in "the Scrapbook"
(Columbia City Post – August 8, 1900)

[Abstract - view scanned copy part 1 and part 2 for full obituary]
     Archie Henry Foust was born on the 2nd day of October 1870 in Delaware county, O., and when about 18 months of age his father brought him to Columbia City, Ind., and gave him to his brother, Franklin H. Foust and wife, who received him into their home and hearts as their own child. On April 3, 1895 he was united in marriage with Miss Jessie Hunter. To this union were born two girls, Virginia, who at about three years of age sweetly swept into the spirit land just ten months before her papa, and little Mary who is left to be the comfort of the fond, yet greatly bereaved mamma.

Foust, Maximillia A. (Jones)
Columbia City Post – Whitley County, Indiana
Saturday March 12, 1910

[view scanned copy part 1 and] part 2 of obituary
     Bankers wife expires Friday. Injury Sustained in Fall Proved Fatal. Mrs. Franklin H. Foust Lived But One Week After Serious Accident - Lacked One Day of Being 83 Years of Age.
     In the death of Mrs. Franklin H. Foust, wife of the well known banker and pioneer citizen, a familiar figure is removed from this city. For the past 64 years she was identified with the growth and development of the town, and she was known by nearly every resident of the city and by many people throughout the county. In her young girlhood she was a successful teacher and after her marriage she became identified to some extent with the business interest of the village, assisting her husband in conducting a small store which they established in the early history of the town. She knew all the early pioneers of the county and it seemingly afforded her great pleasure to recount the experiences of her early life in this place, and especially was she fond of telling of the manner in which the pioneer women did their part in those days.
     As is already known, Mrs. Foust was in poor health during the past winter and last Friday afternoon she was seized with a dizzy spell as she left the telephone and fell heavily to the floor. It was feared at the time that the breaking of the hip bone by the fall would result in her death, and one week later almost to the hour, she quietly passed into her last sleep, the exact time of her death being 12:50 Friday afternoon.
     The pain of the fracture was intense and every effort was made by the physician to lend comfort to the sufferer, but her advanced years left her with insufficient strength to survive the shock. Friday morning it was seen that she was sinking rapidly and all of her relatives were called to her bedside before 7 o'clock. She rallied however, and although very low, survived until the hour named.
     Maximillia A. Jones was born at Dresden, Muskingum county, Ohio, March 12, 1827, to Elizabeth and William P. Jones and died in Columbia City, Ind., March 11, 1910, aged 82 years 11 months and 29 days. When 18 years of age, she came with her parents to this county and settled on a farm three and one half miles southwest of Columbia City. Mr. Jones had lost all of his property through the failure of a friend for whom he had been a bondsman and he came to this county to build up his fortunes anew. They settled in a log house at the farm on the evening of the 31st day of October, 1845, and lived there till they moved to this city March 6, 1846, just 64 years ago to the day before she sustained the injury that caused her death. The house, at that time in this city was east of the site of the Lutheran church. December 12, 1850, she united in marriage with Franklin H. Foust and by her death a wedded life of more than 59 years is broken. Three children were born to them, but they all died in infancy. Mrs. Foust was a member of a family of six, but two of whom survive her. They are Curtis W. Jones and Mary E. Sherwood of this city.
     Mrs. Foust was a member of the Baptist church, but since her marriage had been affiliated with the Methodist church in this city. For years she had been in feeble health and was unable to walk with comfort, so that she was forced to remain within the confines of her home a great part of the time. She never lost interest in the affairs of the locality and kept up many friendships among those who knew her as a most conscientious and kind-hearted woman. The fact that she was forced to inaction made the telephone a great comfort to her and she daily communicated with friends. In fact, it was while leaving the telephone for her accustomed chair by the window that she was overcome with an attack of vertigo and fell.
     Mrs. Foust came to this county when it was largely a wilderness and she had seen it emerge from the forests and arise to its present standing during her residence here. She maintained a vital interest in all of the activities of the community and lived in accordance with her ideas. Her death takes from among us one who has had a part in the affairs of the locality for an average lifetime.

Foust, Solomon Jacob
Unidentified News Clip in "the Scrapbook"
No Date

flag for veterans Civil War Veteran

[View scanned copy of obituary]
     Solomon Jacob Foust, a brother of Franklin H. Foust, president of the Columbia City National bank, died at his home in Atlanta, Kansas, Monday morning, at 10 o’clock. The deceased came to this city to reside in 1849, and while residing here enlisted as a soldier. At the close of the war he came back here, but a few years later went west and located in Kansas. He suffered a stroke of paralysis after the war and never fully recovered from it.
     He resided on a farm until too old to look after it and then moved to Atlanta, where he died. He leaves a widow and three children, two girls and a boy. He was 80 years of age last March, and was one of a family of nine children, five girls and four boys, of whom Franklin H. Foust, of this city, is the only surviving member.

Foust, Will
Unidentified News Clip in "the Scrapbook"
(No Date – 1911 ?)

[View scanned copy of obituary]
     The Foust families of this city and county have been notified by Charles Foust, of Atlanta, Kansas, of the death of Will Foust, which occurred in Wyoming a week ago. The deceased was found along a railroad and was identified by papers in his clothes. He was given buriel there. The deceased was a son of Jacob Foust, who has been dead some years, and was several years younger than his brother, Franklin B. Foust, of Cleveland township. He left here thirty years ago, and his relatives believed that he was dead, as they had never heard anything from him.
     Cleon H. Foust and Mrs. Fred Morsches, of this city, were children of Al Foust, and were also related to the dead man.

Fowler, James T.
Contributed by Chas Rockwood
Columbia City Post, Columbia City, Whitley County, Indiana
July 17, 1979

     James T. Fowler, 71, of 302 North Washington street, died at 9:05 p.m. Monday, July 16, at Whitley County Hospital where he had been a patient for the past week. He had been in failing health for four months and was hospitalized on several occasions prior to entering the hospital the last time.
     He was a native of Kosciusko county and was born January 5, 1908, a son of Moses and Lena May Fowler. His formative years were spent in Kosciusko County near Milford. After completing his education he engaged in general farming.
     On March 10, 1944, he was united in marriage to Josephine Savannah Kuhn in Fort Wayne. She preceded him in death in 1964. He was reared in the Catholic faith.
     On August 12, 1977, he was united in marriage to Evelyn Phillips and they spent their married life in Columbia City.
     The surviving relatives include his wife Evelyn; two sisters, Mrs. Ethel Adair, Cosperville and Mrs. Julia Donovan, Rochester, New York and a number of nephews and nieces. A son preceded him in death.
     The body is at Smith and Sons Funeral Home where friends may call after 2 p.m. Wednesday. The Rev. Father Patrick Durkin, pastor of the St. John The Bosco Catholic Church, Churubusco, will officiate at the funeral Thursday at 10:30 a.m. at the funeral home. Burial will be in the St. Francis cemetery west of Pierceton.



A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M 
N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  Y  Z 

Obituaries Home Page